It's all about TRUTH.

IT'S ALL ABOUT TRUTH
Location is determined by position
Evidence will vary by location.
Facts will change according to evidence.
But TRUTH is unchanging.

Monday, April 6, 2009

Time to throw in the towel?

The constitution of the U.S. provides that each State will have at least one member in the House, and two in the Senate.

Every 2 years, each Representative is up for election. Every 6 years, a Senator must face a challenge, either running again, or allowing someone else to take his or her seat. If a vacancy occurs, the states are given a choice as to how to deal with it. So WHY does Minnesota have only 1 Senator? One Senator -- for 3 months, now. In Minnesota, the Governor may appoint someone if a vacancy occurs. And yet, there is no action. Minnesota has only one Senator.

Now, you need to understand ME to understand my belief on this matter. And it may surprise you.
I am, for all intents and purposes, a Republican. I made Reagan look like a liberal in some things, and John Kerry look like a conservative in other things. It’s tough to understand, I know. I’ve vote 99.9% Republican since I first began voting. Before I could vote, I supported Nixon (twice), and Carter. I’ve been open-minded enough to support third parties, I’ve supported a couple of DFLers, and I even helped out financially in one Democrat’s campaign.

Anderson-Lucie in 1980. Perot-Stockdale in 1982. James Janos in 1998. All third party. Two conservative, one more liberal. Supported Pawlenty once, Hatch once. Perpich once. Every thing else (Except for what might be called “non-partisan” races) has been G.O.P., no to taxes, no to horse racing, no to gambling.

So, back to the original topic: One Senator. Minnesota deserves 2. And yet, an extremely close election is denying Minnesota its right to a second Senator.

What can we do? Both Franken and Coleman have contested this race right down to the wire. But the thing is OVER. What was 400 votes in victory for Coleman has become a 225 vote lead for Franken-creep.

For the good of the state, it must end. It’s no longer just “Stupid” to continue, but outright wasteful and completely pathetic.

Do we call for another election? Wasteful! Do we draw lots? More contention. Do we have the Governor appoint someone? We had 2 people within 300 votes of each other. Neither got a majority. But what happens if the Governor appoints?

No, it’s time for one of the two candidates to withdraw. It’s time to throw in the towel. Stop denying us our representation. Even if more than 50% of the people didn’t vote for the “winner,” it’s time to say “For the good of the state of Minnesota, it is time to allow my opponent to take office.”

I am Republican. I supported Coleman. I detest Franken. But what is left? Barkley? The third party candidate who gathered 16% of the vote?

It’s time to say Goodnight, I’m afraid. Mr. Coleman, are you listening?

Say Goodnight, Norman.

No comments:

Post a Comment